The Zenhaven is a 2-sided 100% organic latex mattress manufactured by the Saatva brand (who also have a mattress of the same name). If you’ve heard of Loom & Leaf, they’re also under the same Saatva umbrella alongside Zenhaven. The Saatva mattress is a hybrid, the Loom & Leaf is memory foam, and the Zenhaven is made of organic latex.
Three features define the Saatva Zenhaven mattress: Targeted support, breathable sleep, and natural comfort. We’ll discuss these factors, and many more, in our latest Zenhaven mattress review and ratings below. But first of all, let’s take a look at sleeper compatibility:
Who Would Love The Zenhaven Mattress?
Who Won't Love The Zenhaven Mattress?
Zenhaven Mattress Overview
Unlike most innerspring or memory foam mattresses, the Zenhaven mattress is flippable. It is an all natural mattress with a convenient adjustable firmness level. Each side has a specific comfort level, so you can simply flip it over for a perfect fit if one side doesn’t feel right. Effectively, when you buy a Zenhaven mattress, you are buying two mattresses for the price of one.
It incorporates Talalay latex on both sides. One side is known as Luxury Plush, while on the flip side the comfort is classed as Gentle Firm. Additionally, it features other eco-friendly materials such as cotton, all of which ensure that your spine remains in a good position all night long while providing a cozy sleep surface.
The latex has some bounce to it, meaning there is less sinkage, and you won’t have that “stuck in the mattress feel.” Additionally, it will be easier to adjust your sleeping position throughout the night without requiring too much energy. This is particularly helpful for overweight people who might struggle to move around in bed.
The mattress has 5 zones and is 10″ tall. Considering the height and the quality of the material, every kind of sleeper should find this option ideal, regardless of preferred sleeping position.
Construction and Material
The material that makes up The Zenhaven mattress is 100% organic latex, organic cotton, and wool. These materials are layered around a latex base. The mattress has two distinct sides with different firmness levels. The softer side, called “Luxury Plush” has a soft, luxurious feel. This is the side that most customers use. Flip the mattress over to discover the firmer side – known as Gentle Firm. The Gentle Firm is about 18% more supportive than the Luxury Plush, making it more appealing to people with back pain and overweight individuals.
Here is the core composition beginning from the Luxury Plush side up:
- Cover: The Zenhaven mattress cover is soft and breathable. It is made from organic cotton and features Guardin®, a botanical antimicrobial treatment exclusive to the company. Additionally, the cover is quilted with 100% organic New Zealand wool, for a soft and breathable feel. The cover alone offers extra cushioning and coziness.
- Luxury Plush layer: Beneath the cover is a flame-retardant inclusion of wool. Then follows a 1.5-inch layer of soft, supportive natural Talalay latex. This area is zoned, meaning the firmness varies across the surface of the mattress. There is extra support under the hips and an enhanced supportive feel at the shoulders. While the layer is soft, it’s still supportive enough to keep you “on” rather than “in” the mattress.
- Core: In this zone, there are two separate layers of natural latex, each 3-inch thick. They are compressed together to form a dense, supportive center for the mattress. Thus, they provide much-needed structural support to the bed. The upper layer is a Plush latex base followed by a Firm latex base. The inclusion of latex in this section is responsible for the great bounce and buoyancy.
- Gentle Firm layer: This makes the surface on the firmer side, and base when the Luxury Plush is facing upwards. It is a 1.5 inches of firmer, more supportive latex, and offers lumbar support as well as proper spinal alignment. It feels less cozy than the upper Luxury Plush side; however, it is still very good at pressure-relieving like the softer side. Since this is the last layer, it also has flame-retardant properties.
Talalay Or Dunlop?
The Zenhaven mattress uses Talalay processed latex, which differs from Dunlop latex extensively both in feel and structure. Talalay has larger cells than Dunlop, a feature that allows more air to flow within the structure. That means mattresses using this kind of latex have better temperature regulation and breathability, resulting in cooler sleep and increasing the lifespan of the mattress.
Although the Talalay latex is consistent in resulting in high prices, it’s worth paying the premium. The unique combination of these organic materials forms a luxurious eco-friendly all natural mattress. The latex, organic wool, and natural cotton result in a luxurious experience for sleepers.
Zenhaven Firmness and Feel
Being 2-sided, the mattress has two firmness levels. Nonetheless, you should know that firmness and feel is somewhat a subjective factor. Your shape, size, and weight dictate the ultimate experience on any mattress. For instance, if you are considerably heavy, you will push through the soft comfort and support layer, giving you a soft mattress feeling. However, a lightweight individual won’t have the same experience. Let’s take a look at each side of the Zenhaven latex mattress and rate according to the average weight of an individual in the US (177.9 lbs).
This side is relatively soft, but, overall, with a medium amount of support. When you apply a little pressure by hand, you will immediately come into contact with the soft organic wool that is quilted into the cover. What’s impressive is that the buoyant latex below the cotton and wool keeps you well positioned on the top structure. We rate the firmness of this side at 5 on a firmness scale of 1 (softest) to 10 (firmest).
The Zenhaven is a bit firmer on this side. We rate it 8 on the same 1-10 firmness scale, which also consistent with other customer reviews found online. When using this side, the bed distributes your weight evenly. However, there is a noticeable uptick in pressure at the shoulders and hips.
Pressure Relief and Sleeping Position
Sleeping position is a major factor that determines the amount of pressure and pain relief. For example, side sleepers need relief from pressure on the hips and shoulders. By contrast, back and stomach sleepers need support for proper spinal alignment. Remember, your body shape, and weight also plays a significant role. Below we discuss how the Zenhaven performs when it comes to catering for different sleeping positions.
- Back sleepers: You will sink slightly through the quilted cover into the topmost layer of the Luxury Plush. Here, latex naturally contours to the shape of your lower back, giving you immediate pressure relief. The flip side of the mattress differs slightly, offering a good amount of contouring and spinal alignment, which is great for people who sleep on their back.
- Side sleepers: There is a significant difference between the two sides due to the different firmness levels. The Luxury Plush side offers a satisfactory level of pressure relief in the upper body, especially from the hip and up towards the shoulders. However, the Gentle Firm does not perform as great. There is a slight increase in pressure on the hips and shoulders.
- Stomach sleepers: Again, there are significant differences between the sides. The Luxury Plush doesn’t offer the best support for the waist. Thus, the hips can sink out of alignment, especially if you weigh over 200 lbs. This does not happen in the Gentle Firm setting.
- Combination sleepers: Zenhaven mattress allows easy adjusting of positions, thanks to the spring nature of latex. Latex is a fast responding material making it easier for you to roll without noticing any crates on the mattress. This applies to both sides.
- Heavy sleepers: If you are significantly heavy, use the Gentle Firm side as it offers plenty of support without compromising on pressure relief.
- Lightweight sleepers: The Luxury Plush side is a great fit for light sleepers. It provides exceptional support and pressure relief.
The disturbance caused by motion traveling across the mattress surface is a significant problem for couples sharing a bed. In most bed-sharing scenarios, a partner will often toss and turn, disturbing the other, which can also occur when getting in and out of bed.
The Zenhaven mattress offers a medium amount of motion isolation on the softer side. That implies that you may feel some movement. The bouncy nature of latex is what contributes to this. The firm side performs better, meaning less motion will be transferred across the surface, causing less disturbance.
The Zenhaven mattress has two usable sides, resulting in two levels of edge support. The Luxury Plush displays some sinkage when you sleep close to the bed edge. Furthermore, when sat on the bed edge, support is somewhat lacking. As for the Gentle Firm, when you sleep near the edge, there is much less sinkage. You will not experience the sensation of rolling off the bed when close to the edge. Also, when sat down on the edge of the bed, there is decent support.
Below is a list of all the Zenhaven sizes and their dimensions:
|Size||Dimensions (W L H)|
|Twin||38” x 75” x 10”|
|Twin XL||38” x 80” x 10”|
|Full||54” x 75” x 10”|
|Queen||60” x 80” x 10”|
|King||76” x 80” x 10”|
|Split King (2 Twin XL)||76” x 80” x 10”|
|Cali King||72” x 84” x 10”|
All-latex mattresses are generally the most expensive types of mattresses you can buy. This is due to the cost of acquiring the materials, the overall package (sleep trial, warranty, white glove delivery etc), plus of course the standards of the latex used, all reflects the overall price.
The Zenhaven in our opinion is priced fairly, given the high-quality
- Twin - $1,399
- Twin XL - $1,599
- Full - $1,999
- Queen - $2,399
- King - $2,999
- Split King - $3,199
- Cal King - $2,999
How long is the sleep trial?
The company offers a 180-night home trial: enjoy the Zenhaven latex mattress for 180 nights at home before deciding if it suits you.
Is shipping free?
Yes, and what’s even better value for money is that Zenhaven offers free white glove delivery: the manufacturer sends their staff to hand-deliver and install the mattress to the room of your choice. They also offer a free mattress removal service of your old mattress.
Will this mattress arrive in a box?
No, Saatva does not utilize bed-in-a-box delivery on the Zenhaven or any of its other mattresses. Although most mattresses from other manufacturers bought online are shipped in a box, Saatva is among the rare few who still deliver mattresses in their full-sized glory.
Is there any warranty with the mattress?
Yes, there is a 20-year warranty: this is a non-prorated warranty that lasts for 20 years.
Where are Zenhaven mattresses made?
Although the company sources the finest latex from Sri Lanka, the mattress itself is handcrafted in the USA.
What sort of bed do I need?
You can use the mattress on almost any beds or surface i.e., platform bed, adjustable bed frame, or box spring.
Our Zenhaven Ratings
The Zenhaven by Saatva is, undoubtedly, a luxurious natural latex mattress. It’s not the same as your standard foam mattresses. The Zenhaven is built of high-quality materials, which justifies its price point and makes it extremely desirable. The fact that it’s a flippable mattress makes it so much better. Customers can select a firmness level they like depending on their preference. Thus, the mattress can accommodate sleepers with diverse needs.
Latex has a lot to offer – it’s hypoallergenic, chemical-free, and they sleep cool. But these top-end features come at a premium price. Saatva’s Zenhaven is not one of the most affordable beds, but for a latex mattress, the price point is right.
So if you want a durable mattress that offers you two comfortable sleeping surfaces with different firmness, the Zenhaven mattress is a good option.
Comfort – 10/1010/10
Support – 10/1010/10
Materials – 10/1010/10
Cooling Ability – 8.5/108.5/10
Edge Support – 8.5/108.5/10
Motion Isolation – 8.5/108.5/10
Sleep Trial – 10/1010/10
Warranty – 10/1010/10
Value For Money – 10/1010/10