Updated on April 1, 2023
Using the best memory foam mattress topper will, undoubtedly, improve your sleeping experience. A mattress topper comes at a fractional price of a brand new mattress. If, for one reason or another, your mattress isn’t comfortable, a memory foam mattress topper can restore the comfort of your current mattress.
Typically, the right topper can transform your mattress into a soft pillow-like surface if your mattress is hard. On the contrary, other types of mattress toppers make your bed a bit firmer, just in case you need more support. These toppers add a layer of memory foam to the topmost area of your mattress. In turn, this makes your sleeping surface not only more comfortable but also more breathable and cool, especially when using a gel-infused memory foam topper
Looking for the right mattress topper can be a little tricky. But choosing the best option depends on your needs. To make things easier, we have rounded up the top 10 highest rated in our recent research, which yo
u’ll find further below.
Memory Foam Topper Buying Guide
Memory Foam Topper Benefits
Memory foam is a popular material in the creation of mattresses, and memory foam mattress toppers are equally gaining popularity. The reasons for such popularity include:
- Memory foam can mold to the shape of your body. This, in turn, tremendously reduces pressure points on the hips, shoulders, and lower back. People with arthritis should find memory foam toppers to be the best choice over other mattress toppers.
- Improves blood circulation as you sleep.
- Sleepers benefit from overall support as it takes the curve of your body, resulting in superior sleeping experience.
- Though memory foam is heat sensitive and soft, it usually bounces back to its original position. So even if it sinks with the shape of your body, it will return to its original form when the pressure applying object is removed.
- Memory foam evenly distributes body heat, which translates to decent support to all parts, including back, shoulders, neck, knees, and legs.
- Helps to reduce pressure on the spine, by ensuring that your spine is well aligned as you sleep.
Memory Foam Topper Drawbacks
As you saw, there are tremendous benefits of choosing the best memory foam mattress topper. However, it is worth mentioning some of the common drawbacks. They include:
- Memory foam absorbs moisture quickly. The moisture, in turn, accelerates the degeneration of the mattress. Additionally, it makes it difficult to clean the mattress.
- If you like switching positions frequently while in bed, it may take time to get used to the mattress due to lack of springiness.
- When new, the foam emits a particular smell from VOCs. The manufacturers advise that you allow 48 hours off-gassing period.
Did you know that memory foam is also called temper foam? This material has extensive application, thanks to its ability to mold the body’s shape but spring back original back to its original shape. That translates to a sleeping surface that is good for back and joint pain.
It’s noteworthy that not all memory foam mattress toppers are similar. Here’s how to identify the one that meets your needs:
Choosing a Firmness
The first thing that you want to consider is the desired firmness of the mattress topper. When laying down on your existing mattress, what level of firmness do you feel? If you feel like your existing mattress is too hard or firm for your liking, then upgrade your pad to one with a higher level of density. If it’s too soft or soft, consider purchasing a softer version instead.
Are memory foam toppers hot to sleep on?
Another thing to consider is whether you’d like a memory foam topper that offers cooling properties. Some memory foam toppers can cause you to become hot while asleep. However, some come with a cooling gel infused or a ventilation system. If you often wake up hot, this might be something you’ll want to invest in as well.
Also, thanks to recent technology, you can get an open cell or gel foam mattress topper, which helps you sleep cool. The open-cell structure allows for efficient circulation of air within the structure while gel foam dissipates heat trapped from the mattress to the exterior.
What are the different types of memory foam topper?
There are different kinds of memory foam. Each has distinctive characteristics. Typical examples include:
- Traditional: These types of memory foam contour to the shape of your body. However, it tends to retain a lot of heat.
- Open-cell: It has open cells within its structure to allow better air circulation. So sleepers have better heat transfer, hence sleeping cool.
- Gel-infused: The gel is pumped into this memory foam resulting in two kinds of material. The first kind behaves like an ice pack and just absorbs heat. The second type is the phase changing foam, which regulates temperature as you sleep. So, it absorbs and releases heat. Gel can also be used to increase the density of memory foam.
Are there different sizes of memory foam mattress toppers?
For you to get the most out of your mattress topper, look for the size that fits your bed. Like mattresses, they come in different sizes – Twin, Full, Queen, King, and California King sizes. Keep in mind that mattress toppers sit flush against your mattress, so buying a smaller or larger bed will make your topper wither overhang or be too small.
What is the best thickness for a mattress topper?
The thickness of memory foam mattress toppers ranges from 1 to 4 inches. If you are looking to change the feel for the short term, you can buy a 1-inch or 2-inch thick topper. However, if you choose a thickness beyond 2 inches, it means your mattress underneath will much last longer, while also still changing your bed’s entire feel and texture. Such a thick layer is excellent for side sleepers.
Memory foam mattress topper density
The weight-per-cubic foot of the mattress is its density, which translates to the amount of memory your bed will possess. Memory foam toppers with higher density typically provide superior support. Also, it has an efficient response to body temperature, conforming better to body weight. Higher-density foams are long-lasting compared to their lower-density counterparts.
However, on average, the best memory foam mattress topper with a density of 3 pounds is perfect for most people’s needs. But if you have joint and body pain, a density beyond 4 pounds can work well for you.
Mattress toppers and covers
Most memory foam mattress toppers do not come with an included cover, especially the cheaper options. However, most of the better and higher-rated options, such as those in our recommendations, come with included covers.
If your purchase doesn’t include a cover, the best cover to buy for your memory foam mattress topper is cotton with high thread count. Such a cover will protect your mattress topper from dust, dirt, and stains. Otherwise, it is essential to note that memory is naturally dust mite resistant, hypoallergenic, and it doesn’t harbor allergens.
So, do memory foam mattress toppers work?
Mattress toppers will change the general look and feel of your bed. But, you must look for a topper that meets your needs. Generally, use a memory topper if you want to make a very firm mattress softer or give your old mattress a new look.
However, a memory topper won’t be an express solution for your old a worn-out mattress. If your mattress is too old or very soft, you should buy a new one because using a topper isn’t a long-term solution and won’t fix the underlying issue.
Our Favorite Memory Foam Mattress Toppers
- ViscoSoft – Editor’s Pick
- Lucid Gel – Best Soft
- Zinus Green Tea – Best Budget Option
- DreamFoam Gel Swirl – Best Medium-Firm
- Red Nomad – Best Firm
- Tempur-Pedic TEMPUR Supreme – Longest Warranty
- Layla – Best Cooling
- Memory Foam Solutions – Best No-Frills
- Milliard Gel – Best Luxurious
- Weekender – Best Plush
No one can overlook the importance of memory foam mattress toppers. They can fix problems like a too firm mattress. But then again, it is good practice to invest in topper that gives what you need. Before you purchase, you should consider your current bed, and how the topper will help you achieve the change.
With options, it is easier to locate the right one based on thickness, density, pressure-relieving features, and temperature regulation. So do not hesitate to pick one as they are all highly recommended.