Of the 6 standard sizes in the industry, the Twin dimensions are the smallest, making it ideal for adults and children who sleep alone. As it’s quite narrow, this bed isn’t for sharing; the Twin mattress size in inches measures at 38″ wide and 75″ long (although this can vary slightly with the brand).
Although it is a small mattress in comparison to the others, many of the Twin mattresses on the market offer good value for your money. The cheap prices make them popular choices for places like kid’s rooms, guest rooms, dorms, and hostels. However, to find the best Twin mattress for your needs can be daunting due to the abundance of models you can find online and in stores.
To take the hardship of narrowing down from dozens of mattresses, we’ve done the research for you.
In its comparison article, we discuss brands, models, construction, price, and the general feel of some of the best rated Twin mattress selections in 2020.
Our Favorite Pick
The Lucid 10"
Finding The Best Twin Mattress
Here’s our top 10 picks at a glance
- LUCID 10 Inch – Editor’s Pick
- Brooklyn Aurora – Best Cooling
- Saatva Youth – Best For Kids
- Casper Original – Suits All Sleeping Positions
- Layla – Flippable / Dual Firmness
- Nectar – Firm Feel
- T&N by Tuft and Needle – Medium-Firm Feel
- Bear Pro – Premium Option
- ZINUS Green Tea – Medium Feel
- Amazon Basics 12-Inch – Budget Option
Twin Mattress Reviews
LUCID 10 Inch
The LUCID 10″ 2019 is a dual-layered gel-infused Twin memory foam mattress.
It features a 2.5″ gel memory foam top layer. Besides having an infusion, this layer is also ventilated; thus, offering a cool surface for slumber. Typically, the gel memory foam regulates body temperature while also conforming to your curvatures tightly to relieve pressure at the most sensitive points. It has a medium feel, placed around a 5 on our firmness scale. Thus, people of different sleeping positions can use it comfortably.
The high-density base foam layer stands at 7.5″ thick, which means it offers decent support for kids and adults up to 250 lbs too.
As for the cover, it is a Tencel blend fabric, an excellent addition to this mattress as it helps to regulate temperature further and prevents the buildup of moisture. This means the mattress will last longer, as it will degrade at a much slower rate.
The mattress is built from certified and premium materials only. All of the memory foam used here is CertiPUR US certified, which ensures an uncompromising safety for you and the environment. So, if you are prone to allergies, you will get a hypoallergenic mattress guaranteeing you allergy-free nights.
Overall, the Lucid Twin mattress may have a relatively simple construction, but its performance is surprising. It becomes our Editor’s pick because it offers tremendous value, whether it’s for long term regular usage, or for a bed in the guest room. Both adults and kids will love this mattress. What’s best, it comes at a very competitive price, making this package to hard to rival.
The Brooklyn Aurora Twin hybrid mattress is one of many mattresses that we have reviewed by Brooklyn Bedding. Like most of their mattresses, the Aurora offers an advanced cooling technology as well as a luxurious surface. Each of the layers has been engineered meticulously and offers a great experience for all types of sleeper. Let’s take a look at the inner construction:
- Layer 1: A cooling fabric to ensure that you sleep at the right temperature.
- Layer 2: A 1.5″ thick CopperFlex™ foam, which provides more responsive contouring coupled with targeted pressure point relief. Besides, you benefit from the antimicrobial properties of copper. Additionally, it offers a cooling experience because of the infusion of TitanCool™ on the surface, which maintains skin temperature at an ideal sleeping temperature.
- Layer 3: It features hyper-elastic TitanFlex™ foam, and it is 2″ thick. The layer offers cloud-like comfort as it adjusts with every move you make.
- Layer 4: This 1-inch thick layer offers in-depth compression support and enhanced contouring, thanks to the Swirl Visco-Elastic memory foam.
- Layer 5: It is 8″ thick and features an incredible 1,032 individually enclosed Ascension X™ coils. This is an assurance of pressure point relief and reduced motion transfer between sleep partners.
- Layer 6: 1-inch thick high-density memory foam. Its role is to provide a firm base for the coil system as they compress as well as add to mattress’ general durability.
You can get this mattress in 3 firmness levels (soft, medium, or firm), which offers you a chance to choose what suits your sleeping style.
In our opinion, you can never go wrong with a mattress by Brooklyn Bedding. The Aurora may not be the cheapest, but it definitely shortlists as one of the best.
The Saatva Youth is possibly the best Twin size mattress option if you have a growing child. Typically, this dual-sided hybrid innerspring and foam mattress provides exceptional comfort and support to children aged 3-12. One side is for ages 3-7. Flip the mattress over, and you’ll have a surface that is suitable for ages 8-12.
The cover is pure organic cotton with hypoallergenic and antimicrobial properties. That makes it safe for children. Besides, the foam is free of harmful chemicals and doesn’t off-gas. You’ll also find a 5-zone support layer – designed for proper spine alignment, i.e., soft at the head and feet but firm in the center. The dual-sided coil unit comprises of 13.75 gauge coil – offering decent support, but is also flexible in order to conform to the body shape regardless of body weight or sleeping position.
Additionally, the Saatva Youth features a water-resistant finish while the internal barrier is waterproof. Such an arrangement protects against bed wetting accidents and liquid spills, besides making it easy for you to clean your mattress.
What’s impressive about this Twin size mattress is that it has the same premium quality materials found in other Saatva mattresses. So, although it may be aimed at children in particular, there is no compromise on the quality.
If you’re after a new mattress for your child and cherish handcrafted products, do not hesitate to pick this product from Saatva.
Whether you choose their Twin mattress for kids or large-bodied adults, the CertiPUR-US certified Casper Original 2020 model offers a stable surface to rest. Typically, the memory foam mattress caters to different sleeping positions because of the zoned support top layer. On a firmness scale of 1-10, this one is rated a 5 due to its medium firmness (not too hard and not too soft).
At the shoulder area, the Casper Twin mattress features soft foam to provide relief from pressure at the upper body region. The hip, lower back, and the waist region are designed from a higher density foam to offer the much-needed upper body support. In turn, it aligns the spine correctly, eliminating back pain. Also, this ergonomic top layer’s foam is perforated for breathability. The perforations reduce the buildup of trapped heat by promoting the free flow of air. So these small holes help to dissipate hot air away from the bed.
Casper has enjoyed much success with their mattresses in recent years, and for a good reason too. The premium feel and build quality make it ideal for people wanting a long-lasting mattress, and it comes at a very reasonable price too.
If you are looking for a mattress that is beautiful and highly functional, look no further than the copper-infused Layla Twin memory foam mattress. It cradles you while offering the much-needed support all night long. What makes this mattress ideal for the different types of consumers is the flippable 2-sided firmness options. What this means is, you get two choices of feel for the price of one. One side is soft, while the other is firm.
The mattress has six layers, and is composed in the following manner when the soft side is faced up:
- The upper cover (soft side): It is soft and luxurious and features thermo-cooling technology, which ensures you sleep cool. Besides, it has a zipper for easy removal.
- Copper-gel memory foam: (3-inch) Very soft and plush, and offers rapid cooling as well as body heat transfer. Also, the copper-infusion provides variable support and antimicrobial odor control.
- Support foam: (2-inch) It features channels that allow free flow of air. Also, it offers zoned support comfort, and enhanced spinal alignment.
- Support core foam: (4-inch thick) It contributes to the durability of the mattress. Typically, it offers minimal bounce and improves edge support, no matter which side up the mattress is.
- Copper gel memory foam: (1-inch) Besides rapid cooling, it offers a firm, supportive feel.
- The lower cover (firm side): As with the top side, this same luxurious cover wraps the bottom too.
We consider the Layla as another strong candidate for the best Twin mattress for kids due to the flippable firmness feature. It makes things ideal for parents and children who are unsure as to their child’s firmness preference. A child may say they want a soft mattress but in reality, it may be too soft and require the firm side up instead, and vice versa. Adults are more inclined to know what they want. But, even so, the choice to switch between soft or firm is nice, and can be particularly useful in guest rooms; give your guests the choice of which side they want to sleep on, they’ll be thankful for it.
In terms of price, the Layla Twin size memory foam mattress even before any discount is cheaper than some of the others reviewed here. Better still, you’ll often find they run seasonal sales and events, bringing the price down even more.
The Nectar mattress is one of our personal favorites and appears in our top 10 best memory foam mattress reviews. An innovative solution that has been on the market for some years now, the Nectar offers a cool and comfortable sleeping surface and offers a bundle of perks along with your purchase (free pillows, long warranty, and sleep trial).
The Nectar Twin mattress has five all-foam layers tailored to offer decent support to different kinds of sleepers. The mattress molds to your body shape as you sleep, thus relieving you of all body aches.
These layers include:
- Tencel cooling cover: The quilted cover is moisture-wicking, has higher breathability, and is softer than ordinary cotton covers. Being removable makes it easy to clean it.
- Gel memory foam layer: The two gel memory foam layers allow for decent air circulation and weight distribution. Besides, it contours strictly to your body, ensuring you have a comfortable night’s sleep.
- Transition foam: Designed from hi-core 9.2-grade foam, and it transitions from upper softer layers to the lower firmer layer.
- Base/support core: Designed from high-density (5lb) foam. It gives the mattress the shape as well as supports the upper layers.
The lengthy sleep trial is perfect for indecisive kids and teens who may want a change after trying the Nectar Twin for a number of months. As for adults, the durable materials can withstand heavy body weight, and offers good edge support too.
In our opinion, the Nectar is a well-priced mid-range mattress that performs well in most roundups; it’s a solid contender for the “best Twin mattress” category, and will not disappoint.
T&N by Tuft and Needle
The T&N mattress by Tuft and Needle promises a restful night to all kinds of sleepers thanks to the proprietary Adaptive foam. Typically, the mattress has two foam layers with an open-cell structure, graphite infusion, and cooling gel. Thus, you get a comfortable and cozy night.
The adaptive foam provides pressure relief and helps support the typical pressure points. At the same time, the open cell structure offers an unmatched flexible sleeping surface. This surface adjusts to your movement throughout the night, making it perfect for active sleepers who move around a lot. The additional support layer ensures you get the much-needed support all night long. Such a property also makes the mattress suitable for people of different kinds of weight, whether a small child or a heavy adult.
Also, if you are a hot sleeper, the T&N mattress is a good fit for you. The open-cell foam, cooling gel, and graphite in the adaptive foam pull heat away from your body, thus ensuring that you don’t have sweaty nights.
The T&N mattress is compatible with multiple types of Twin bed frames and foundations– traditional, box springs, bunky boards, slated frames, platform frames, and adjustable frames. The company may have released other mattresses since. However, the Tuft and Needle Twin size is still exceptional quality and a reasonably priced mattress when compared against the plethora of other choices on the market.
The Bear Pro mattress is another option with copper, gel, and a breathable Celliant cover. With these features, you get comfortable sleep on a premium mattress.
On a firmness scale of 1-10, the Bear Pro comes in at a medium-firm 6.
Though the Bear Pro isn’t the cheapest of the reviews here, it certainly is one of the top-rated, mainly due to its composition, which we discuss below.
The mattress packs five layers of CertiPUR-US certified foams:
- Breathable Celliant cover: An innovative material that helps to speed up muscle recovery.
- Copper-infused foam: Removes unwanted heat from your body, thus ensuring that you have a cool sleep. Copper is an excellent thermal conductor, and it acts as a natural antiviral and antibacterial agent, providing a long life of the mattress.
- Gel memory foam: Adds to the contouring and pressure relieving properties.
- Responsive transition foam: Transitions the upper softer layer to a firmer base. Additionally, it offers decent pressure relief and balanced support, especially at the hips and shoulders.
- High-Density Support Foam: The high-density base provides long-lasting durability
The Bear Pro is excellent for people who don’t mind paying a little extra for some of the better features available a mattress. Celliant is a unique new technology that bumps the price up straight away in itself. As for edge support and comfort, the Bear is hard to rival. You can, of course, check out the Bear Pro mattress topper if you still want the Bear perks but don’t fancy the price.
Zinus Green Tea
The ZINUS Green Tea mattress is designed to conform closely to your body; thus, relieving pressure and offering decent support all night long.
There are two models to choose from, a 6″ and an 8″ version, both with similar compositions. One is firm, while the other is medium-firm. Our review is of the 8″ model, which features 3 layers:
- The top layer is two inches thick and features castor oil and green tea-infused memory foam. This naturally prevents the buildup of bacteria and odor in the mattress.
- Beneath this layer is a 2-inch transitional layer made of polyfoam. It has a higher density than the upper layer but lesser than the lower layer. This arrangement allows from smoother transitioning to the firmer base. Besides, it contributes to support while sleeping in various positions, and while moving around in the bed.
- The support core/base is 4 inches thick and is built from high-density polyfoam. It gives the mattress its shape besides preventing deep sinking and sagging.
Although the Zinus Green Tea is a relatively cheap Twin mattress compared to the others here, it shouldn’t be underestimated. It offers exceptional value, and anyone after a small Twin mattress, whether for temporary or permanent use, will no doubt enjoy it for many years to come.
Amazon Basics 12-Inch
Like the majority of the mattresses we discussed here, the Amazon Basics Twin size memory foam mattress adapts to your body shape, thus offering you a supportive and hugging feel while you sleep. Even though support is second-to-none, you will realize that the mattress is somewhat plush, yet still comfortably conforms to different sleeping positions.
The three layers offer optimal softness and support, and are featured as below:
- The top layer is soft and hugs you while you sleep. This makes the mattress ideal for relieving pressure. The cover is Oeko-Tex certified fabric for added peace of mind, especially handy when concerned about young children or allergens.
- The middle layer packs soft perforated foam. The ventilation holes ensure that air flows efficiently through the mattress. As a result, it blows away hot air and brings cool air, which means you sleep cool all through.
- The bottom layer is designed from high-density foam for enhanced body support, stability, and durability. The layer is also responsible for the shape and longevity of the mattress. Besides, its wavy surface provides ample airflow for those hot, restless nights.
To suit different budgets and general needs, the mattress is available in 6, 8, 10, and 12 inch thick profiles. For long last quality, use this mattress with Twin beds that offer good support, for example, a box spring or platform bed, slats should be no wider than 3 inches apart.
As for price, it’s one of the cheapest here, but by no means poor quality.
Buying Guide For Choosing The Best Twin Mattress
So if you need a functional Twin size mattress, consider the factors below:
Common mattress materials include memory foam, latex, innerspring, and proprietary foam variants. The Twin hybrid mattress is becoming a popular option in recent times too. Each element has its pros and cons. For instance, if you need a bed that contours to your body’s shape, choose a Twin foam mattress. On the other hand, gel-infused mattresses dissipate heat, allowing you to sleep cool. Hybrids and innerspring mattresses, on the other hand, have a coil system, which makes them responsive to people who like to move around a lot at night.
Quality Of Materials
Some mattress materials perform better than others. Such materials offer more reliable performance and durability. For longevity, choose latex. Of course, you’ll have to pay a premium; but the performance and durability are worth it. Better performing materials include high-density memory foam, organic latex, and thick steel coils.
Thickness affects comfort and durability. Thicker mattresses last longer and are more comfortable than their thinner counterparts. Generally, most decent Queen and King mattresses average around 10 inches in thickness. Although most of the best Twin mattresses are available in the same depths as their bigger sized Queen and King counterparts, some of the budget brands sometimes offer a 6 inch Twin mattress (which is quite thin) to cut costs furthermore.
Twin mattresses aren’t any different when it comes to firmness level in comparison to their bigger sized counterparts. Generally, you can choose a mattress firmness of Soft, Medium, Firm, or Extra Firm. At BetterSlumber, we measure this firmness on a scale of 1 and 10. A range of 1 to 3 means a soft mattress, while 7-10 indicates a firm mattress. Soft mattresses conform to the body more closely than firmer options, which are more supportive. For most people, a medium firmness, i.e., 4-6, is ideal.
Your preferred sleeping position dictates the type of mattress you should buy. Side sleepers prefer soft/plush mattresses, while stomach sleepers prefer a firmer sleeping surface. Most mattresses these days are available in multiple options, i.e., allowing you to select soft, medium, or firm at checkout. Choose accordingly for the comfort level that suits your sleeping position.
Most sleepers prefer a mattress whose perimeter doesn’t sink quickly. Typically, it should support the bodyweight when they lie close to the edge to prevent rolling and falling off. Due to the narrow dimensions, the best Twin mattress for adults and larger-bodied individuals is certainly one that has good edge support. Weak edge support can cause adults in a Twin bed to feel limited to sleeping in the center of an already small sleep surface. As for kids, their weight and size wouldn’t typically be affected by poor edge support, even on such a small mattress.
Multiple factors determine the price of a Twin size mattress. Most have a price range of $500 and $1,000, and some brands charge higher than others. Similarly, the type of mattress dictates the price. For instance, an all-foam mattress costs less than an all-latex option. A cheap Twin mattress can be found as low as $150 if you’re happy to sacrifice lengthy warranties and sleep trials.
Some people get hot at night when asleep, and this can easily become a bigger issue when sleeping in a rather small Twin mattress. If you need a mattress that sleeps cool, then consider factors like ventilating foam, gel infusion, latex, and innerspring coil systems. Also, consider mattresses that come with a breathable cover, or covers designed from natural fibers because they promote airflow, dissipating body heat.
Twin mattresses are a good option for growing children or adults who sleep alone as they may not offer enough sleeping surface for partners. When you choose to buy a Twin size mattress, always look for features geared towards comfort, durability, and safety.
So the best Twin size mattress is the one that ensures that every morning, you wake refreshed; but not tired or with aches. The Twin size mattresses we have reviewed here are among the best you can find in the market.
Nonetheless, if your height exceeds 6 feet 2 inches, a Twin mattress will be short for you.
While shopping for a win size mattress, the most important thing is a comfortable sleeping surface. Besides, the best Twin mattress should be supportive and should fit perfectly on a small bed frame.